The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has given additional cash donation amounting to more than P100,000 to the Benguet General Hospital to strengthen its response against COVID-19.
In a Facebook post, the DSWD said a check amounting to P119,475.96 was handed over by DSWD spokesperson Irene Dumlao to Benguet Province Governor Melchor D. Diclas as “additional donation” to the Benguet General Hospital.
The simple turn over ceremony happened on Monday, Oct. 12.
DSWD Field Office CAR Director Leo Quintilla and Benguet Vice-Governor Johnny Waguis also witnessed the event.
The DSWD cited the need to financially assist the hospital, which is the only medical facility in the province that is treating COVID-19 patients.
Earlier in June, DSWD officials and employees decided to forego portions of their salaries for May and June to raise more than P4 million as cash donation for the Benguet General Hospital, which has been a hub in the fight against COVID since February.
The DSWD said the cash donation totaling P4,035,000 was given to the provincial hospital to enable it to respond to the needs of its patients, particularly those who contracted the coronavirus disease, and its medical frontliners.
DSWD Secretary Rolando Bautista had thanked the DSWD personnel for their voluntary contributions and for going “beyond their jobs to extend additional aid to those in need in the midst of the crisis.”
He earlier issued a memorandum calling for any voluntary contribution to be used for the government’s COVID-19 response.
“The collective effort is part of DSWD’s continued commitment to contribute to the country’s pandemic response. It is also a way of the Department’s personnel to show solidarity, compassion, and dedicated service to the vulnerable sectors affected by the crisis,” the DSWD said.
Currently, the DSWD has close to 30,000 personnel nationwide.