The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has been ordered to conduct an investigation into the riot that took place inside the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) in Muntinlupa City on Friday morning, Oct. 9, and resulted in the deaths of nine inmates.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra himself gave the directive to the NBI under Department Order. No. 241.
In his order, the secretary told the NBI “to conduct an investigation on the tumultuous affray, which resulted in the death of at least nine PDLs (persons deprived of liberty), that transpired in Quadrant 4 of the NBP-East, Maximum Security Compound, NBP Reservation, Muntinlupa City on 09 October 2020…”
If evidence are found during the investigation, Guevarra instructed investigators “to file the appropriate charges against all persons involved and found responsible for any unlawful act in connection therewith.”
Guevarra also directed NBI Officer-in-Charge Director Eric Distor “to submit to the Office of the Secretary on the status of the implementation of this Order within ten days from notice.”
The BuCor said the riot begun at around 1 a.m. and was quelled at around 3:30 a.m.
So far, the BuCor learned that the riot was sparked by a fight between the Sigue Sigue Sputnik (SSS) and Sigue Sigue Commando (SSC) gangs.
Aside from the nine deaths, it said seven PDLs were also injured and were treated at the NBP Hospital.
In the meantime, the BuCor said that investigation continues as to what happened during the riot.
“On going investigation now focuses on the cause of the incident and instigators, identification of PDLs who perished and how to prevent such incidents happening in the future,” it stated.