Pro-Life exec says Reproductive Health Law a big letdown

Published September 22, 2020, 11:30 AM

by Leslie Ann Aquino

An official of Pro-Life Philippines on Tuesday said the report of high teenage pregnancy numbers showed that the Reproductive Health Law and the use of contraceptives are not the solutions to the problem.
 
“I believe Commission on Population (POPCOM) itself admitted that is phenomena is happening during this time that the government is implementing the RH Law, which includes contraceptive distribution,” Father Melvin Castro, Pro-Life Philippines spiritual director, said in an interview.
 
“One of the key issues presented at the height of the debate is that it will precisely avoid teenage pregnancy. The opposite is happening now,” he added.
 
Castro said contraceptives use has never been and will never bring down instances of the so-called unplanned and unintended pregnancies.
 
The former official of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines Episcopal Commission on Family and Life believes educating the parents will help address the problem of children and teenage pregnancy.
 
“We have to educate the parents so they could properly educate their children. It involves personal dialogue with each child. Each child has his or her own individual needs with regard to proper sexual and emotional formation,” said Castro.
 
“The proper forum for responsible and moral sexual education is the family. Not social media nor peer curiosity, not even through modules,” he added.
 
The priest also stressed the importance of responsible parenthood.
 
“Responsible parenthood is about love and sacrifice, which includes self-discipline,” said Castro.
 
Last week, the PopCom reported that about 40 to 50 Filipino children aged 10 to 14 years old are giving birth every week. 
 

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2430940,2531602,2531595,2531588,2531589,2531571,2531570]