COVID-19 infects 863 frontline workers in Western Visayas

Published September 17, 2020, 11:23 AM

by Tara Yap

ILOILO CITY—At least 863 frontline workers in Western Visayas region have been infected with the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

ENDANGERED WORKERS — Two health workers take a break from obtaining swab specimens for COVID-19 testing in Iloilo City. (Tara Yap/Manila Bulletin)

Dr. Jane Juanico, chief for infectious disease section of the Department of Health (DOH-6), said that 57 percent of frontline workers are in the medical field while the remaining 43 percent are non-medical workers.

“COVID-19 has now infected 490 health workers,” said Juanico.

The most number of health workers infected with COVID-19 were nurses with 194 cases.  They are followed by 118 doctors, 61 medical technologists, 27 nursing aides, 23 midwives, and nine radiologic technologists.

Juanico added that 57 other medical-related professionals in Aklan, Antique, Capiz, Guimaras, Iloilo, and Negros Occidental provinces, as well as the highly urbanized cities of Iloilo and Bacolod were also infected with COVID-19.

One of the medical frontline workers had died from the 276 who had to be admitted to a hospital for treatment. There are currently a total of 391 active cases while 92 have recovered.

DOH-6 also found that 373 non-medical workers have been infected with COVID-19. They include policemen and other government workers.

Among the non-medical workers, one of the 209 that had to be admitted to a hospital had died.  There are currently a total of 292 active cases while 77 have recovered.

Meanwhile, COVID-19 cases in the region have reached 8,200 with more than 3,500 active cases.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["provincial","visayas","news"]
[2426742,3001235,3001109,3000933,3000911,3000391,3000336]