The Department of Tourism backs the Manila Restaurant Week campaign which aims to aid losing tourism businesses get back on their feet amid the COVID-19 crisis.
“Full support to Mayor Isko Moreno. We need to restart the economy slowly but surely with health and safety in mind so that we can give jobs back,” Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said in a message.
Prior to the formal launching of the event Tuesday, the DoT had earlier released health and safety guidelines for the limited operations of dine-in establishments under the new normal setup.
Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso said their objective is not only to showcase the capital city’s diverse food selections but also to help businesses survive with no or less revenues coming in amid the unprecedented crisis brought by the ongoing global health crisis.
Eight-eight food establishments are expected to join the campaign from Sept. 20 to 27. Each participating restaurant will offer prix-fixe breakfast, lunch, and or dinner at affordable rates to promote their restaurant by showcasing their specialties and new inventions.
Restaurants and other dine-in businesses are considered as secondary tourism establishments.
Puyat said out of the 5.7 million Filipinos employed in the tourism industry last year, 4.8 million were directly affected by the crisis.