Jerwin Ancajas eyes ring return in October or November, says Gibbons

Published September 4, 2020, 4:21 PM

by Jonas Terrado

Jerwin Ancajas during his fight with fellow Filipino Jonas Sultan in 2018. (Photo from Top Rank)

IBF junior bantamweight champion Jerwin Ancajas could possibly make his ring return in October or November against mandatory challenger Jonathan Rodriguez, ESPN reported.

MP Promotions president Sean Gibbons told ESPN’s Steve Kim that Ancajas is due to process his visa next week in order to fly in the United States for a possible fight with Rodriguez.

Rodriguez is listed as the IBF’s top-ranked contender with a ring record of 21 wins and one defeat.

Gibbons also told Kim that Ancajas has a simple goal.

“To get rid of the mandatory, and we’re tired of people criticizing Jerwin,” said Gibbons. “We want the winner of the rematch between Andrew Moloney and Joshua Franco.”

Moloney is exercising a rematch clause against Franco after losing his WBA junior bantamweight belt to Franco last June 23.

Ancajas and Rodriguez were supposed to face off last year in Carson, California.

But the bout was cancelled after Rodriguez failed to make it to the US due to visa issues.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["boxing","sports","sports"]
[2404920,2823913,2823704,2823702,2823607,2823533,2823465]