Vice President and opposition leader Leni Robredo expressed concern for ABS-CBN workers who have lost their jobs after Congress refused to renew its franchise.
Robredo said the lawmakers who voted against the extension of the ABS-CBN franchise didn’t think of its negative impact not only to workers, but also to people who rely on its news and TV shows in far-flung areas.
“Papaano na kaya ngayon na wala nang makakarating sa kanila? Hindi man lng ito naisip noong mga bumoto laban doon sa pag-e-extend ng pragkisa? (What will happen now that no services will reach them. Those who voted against the franchise extension did not think of this),” she said.
“Parang kung galit sila sa may-ari, hindi nila naisip iyong mga tao na nasa malalayong lugar, na ito lang iyong source, parang ito lang iyong koneksyon nila to the outside world (If they are angry with the owner, they did not think of the people in far-flung areas that this is their only source, their connection with the outside world),” Robredo added.
September 1 marked the first day of the shutdown of the network’s 12 local TV Patrol programs as well as its other businesses and services following its failed franchise bid.
ABS-CBN has stopped its radio and broadcast operations, so far displacing over 4,000 workers starting on Tuesday.
The vice president cited her fellow Bicolanos will be affected by the shutdown of the giant media network.
Robredo recalled her last year’s visit to Caramoan Island where an entire community relies on two households who had their own generator sets to watch ABS-CBN programs.