Laundrywoman at locked down police center dies of COVID-19

Published August 29, 2020, 9:01 AM

by Philippine News Agency

KIDAPAWAN CITY (PNA) – A laundrywoman, who had worked at a police training center that was locked down after 34 police officials and trainees tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), became the second fatality of the province due to the deadly viral disease.

The 64-year-old female from Barangay Making in Parang town worked at the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) Police Training Center in Parang where the police officials and trainees were infected earlier this month.

Dr. Elizabeth Samama, Maguindanao health chief, who confirmed her death Friday, said the woman was first admitted on August 5 at the Cotabato Regional and Medical Center for abdominal pain.

“She was assessed for surgery due to complications of peptic ulcer disease. A reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test was done prior to the operation and it revealed she was positive for COVID-19,” Samama said.

Samama said the patient died on August 26 due to complications of severe pneumonia following her surgery.

The police training center is currently locked down, where the 34 police officers remain under quarantine.

A police colonel and 33 others earlier tested positive of the virus after undergoing police uniform measurements conducted by an Iligan City-based tailor who conducted the measurements inside the camp.

The center’s tailor also tested positive of the virus upon his return to Iligan City, infecting his wife, children, and tailoring shop workers.

Samama said after the death of the second patient, immediate contact tracing was done by the Parang town government and its rural health unit on the people, who she could have mingled with that included her family, neighbors, and friends for isolation at the Parang Ligtas Covid Center.

The first COVID-19 related death in Maguindanao was the case of a 54-year-old woman from Barangay Rebuken, Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao who expired on Aug. 23. Samama pointed out that protocol on the safe management of deceased bodies and burial of confirmed COVID-19 patients were properly observed in both cases.

“Since we already have COVID-19 related death cases, it is but timely to recalibrate,” she said.

Samama said that the Integrated Provincial Health Office – Maguindanao started on Thursday the orientation on the management of cadavers of Covid-19 confirmed cases as participated by members of provincial and municipal disaster risk reduction and management offices.

Around the BARMM, the total number of confirmed Covid-19 patients hit 614 after 12 new cases were reported by the region’s Ministry of Health.

Of the 12 new cases, nine were from Marawi City, and one each from the towns Saguiaran, Balindong, and Marantao, all in Lanao Sur. Of the 614 positive cases, 455 have defeated the disease and recovered.

To date, the region has 159 active cases with 16 fatalities.

Lanao del Sur and Marawi City remain to have the most number of cumulative cases at 270, followed by Basilan with 108, Maguindanao (95), Sulu (17), Tawi-Tawi (4), and the 120 other locally stranded individuals in BaSulTa (Basilan-Sulu-Tawi-Tawi) area who have been offloaded in Cagayan de Oro City last month. 

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["mindanao","news","provincial","news"]
[2357849,2879916,2879919,2879891,2879886,2879880,2879898]