Palace backs off from revolutionary gov’t proposal

Published August 23, 2020, 2:47 PM

by Genalyn Kabiling

Malacañang distanced itself from the proposed establishment of a revolutionary government, saying the government is focused on addressing the coronavirus pandemic.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque
(OPS / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque maintained that the private proponents can voice their opinion about a revolutionary government but the government’s urgent concern is cushioning the impact of the pandemic on the peopled the economy.

“The call to establish a revolutionary government came from a private group and the organizers are free to publicly express their opinion. The focus, however, of the administration is addressing COVID-19 and mitigating its socioeconomic impact,” Roque said.

“The most pressing and most urgent concern, which requires the Executive’s full attention, is the gradual opening of the economy while safeguarding the people who are working and going back to work amid the pandemic,” he added.

A group of the President’s supporters recently renewed calls to establish revolutionary government until 2022.

Around 300 people gathered at Clark Freeport to ask President Duterte to head the revolutionary government in a bid to hasten efforts to shift toward a federalism before the end of his term. The group, called the Mayor Rodrigo Roa Duterte-National Executive Coordinating Committee (MRRD-NECC), is one of the organizations that urged Duterte to run for president in 2016.

The President had previously floated the establishment of revolutionary government supposedly to effectively address the country’s problems such as terrorism and illegal drug trade.

Duterte last made the pitch in December 2019, saying a revolutionary government can “correct everything”in the county. The President said he prefers the installation of revolutionary government rather than declare martial law or support a military-led coup if he could not complete his six-year term.

The Palace explained that the President’s statement was mostly an expression of frustration. Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo said Duterte was putting on notice the enemies of the State that he won’t sit idly and watch their transgressions unabated and will exercise constitutional powers.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2352799,2672893,2672881,2672878,2672876,2672874,2672871]