The country now has 147,526 confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases after the Department of Health (DOH) reported 4,002 new infections on Thursday.
Most of the new cases were still detected in the National Capital Region at 2,445, followed by Laguna with 319 new infections, Cebu with 212, Rizal with 142, and Cavite with 101.
The number of recoveries increased to 70,387 after 1,403 more patients have recovered, while the death toll rose to 2,426 with 23 new fatalities.
Of the 23 new deaths, 13 happened this month, six in July, one in June, two in April, and one in March.
The DOH also noted that there were 225 duplicates that were removed from the total case count. “Of these, 12 recovered cases and one death have been removed,” it said.
“Moreover, one case that was previously reported to have recovered has been validated to have died and already included in the count of new deaths,” it said.
The DOH, meanwhile, emphasized anew the importance of wearing a mask during this time of pandemic.
“Until a vaccine or cure is developed, mask-wearing remains one of the most effective and feasible health practices that can protect the public from possible infection; masks serve as barriers, preventing the virus from being inhaled by uninfected people, and preventing infected persons from spreading them,” it said.
“Mask-wearing among the important health protocols, such as physical distancing and handwashing, can curb the transmission of the virus,” it added.