Man dies of COVID-19, infects 3 grandchildren

Published July 24, 2020, 1:08 PM

by Erwin Beleo

SAN FERNANDO CITY, La Union – A man died before test results came out that he was positive for the coronavirus disease in Barangay San Agustin here.

LOCKED - A resident was locked down through a metal barricade in Barangay San Agustin, San Fernando City, La Union Thursday (July 23, 2020). The said village was placed Heightened Community Quarantine (HCQ) due to its six confirmed positive case of Covid-19 including the two elders reported dead. (Erwin Beleo / MANILA BULLETIN)
LOCKED – A resident was locked down through a metal barricade in Barangay San Agustin, San Fernando City, La Union Thursday (July 23, 2020). The said village was placed Heightened Community Quarantine (HCQ) due to its six confirmed positive case of Covid-19 including the two elders reported dead. (Erwin Beleo / MANILA BULLETIN)

And little did the 74-year-old victim know that he, too, had infected three of his grandchildren – aged six, 10 and 16 – as bared by Barangay San Agustin Chairperson Nicanor Ramos.

The three children were among the five newly confirmed cases of COVID-19 that were reported in this city on Friday, July 24.

According to Ramos, the elderly victim had no travel history, and only showed symptoms of the virus when he sustained a wound after stepping on a nail.

 “Nagpatawag nalang ako sa city health office upang masiguro nila ang kondisyon ng matanda, (I called the city health office to check the condition of the old man),” said Ramos.

Ramos noted that before enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) was imposed, the man had transacted with some people in the purchase of a property.

“It was possible that the old man got his COVID-19 from them,” Ramos said in Ilocano.

The grandfather was subjected to swabbing by the city health office, and admitted Ilocos Training Regional and Medical Center (ITRMC). However, he died last July 12.

Aside from the grandfather, his 67-year-old male companion, who had been symptomatic yet refused to be admitted to a hospital, reportedly died on July 19.

Because of this, Ramos put Barangay San Agustin on strict lockdown, and even installed several metal barricades to regulate the entry and exit of persons in the neighborhood.

Aside from the three children, two other cases were reported in this city, namely, a 33-year-old male from Barangay Pagdaraoan, and a 51-year-old male from Barangay Sevilla.

According to the city government, Barangays San Agustin, Pagdaraoan, and Sevilla will continue to be under heightened community quarantine (HCQ) until further notice.  

San Fernando City has 25 confirmed cases, six admitted, 12 in isolation facility, one strict home quarantine, four have recovered, while two have died.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["luzon","news","provincial","news"]
[2048332,2916267,2916261,2916228,2916224,2916221,2916215]