DAVAO CITY – The provinces of Davao Oriental and Davao de Oro recorded their first deaths related to coronavirus disease on Tuesday.
The provincial government of Davao Oriental said its first COVID-19 fatality was a 46-year-old woman from the municipality of Banaybanay. However, it said that they were still verifying the initial report that the woman was a resident of Lupon town.
According to the provincial government, the woman, who had chronic heart failure, went to Davao City on June 30. She underwent swab testing on July 12, and died the same day.
The results of her test only came out two days after her death.
Meanwhile in Davao de Oro, a 45 year-old man from Mabini town, who had brain tumor, also tested positive for COVID-19.
The local government unit said the patient stayed in Davao City for his medical operations. On July 9, the patient was referred to the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) after he experienced difficulty in breathing.
After two days, he was admitted at the SPMC, however, he died on July 13. His test only came out the next day.
The remains of the patient were taken to Matalam town in Cotabato where they were buried on Tuesday, July 14.
The latest cases are among the four new fatalities recorded in Davao region on Tuesday. The region has so far tallied 39 COVID-19 deaths.