9 Sulu cops in shooting of 4 military spies to appear at NBI

Published July 13, 2020, 12:39 PM

by Aaron Recuenco 

The nine policemen tagged as responsible for the death of four military intelligence officers on June 29 in Jolo, Sulu are set to face the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) this week.

Police Gen. Archie Francisco Gamboa, chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP), said they have received a notice from the NBI to bring the nine cops anytime from Monday to Wednesday to enable them to air their side on what really transpired in Barangay Bus-Bus last month.

“We are ready to bring them there (NBI), we are just waiting for the advice as to the specific time and date,” said Gamboa.

The nine policemen were transferred from Mindanao to Camp Crame, Quezon City last week in a bid to both ease the tension in Sulu between the police and the military and to make them available for the NBI investigation.

They were identified as Police Senior Master Sgt. Abdelzhimar Padjiri; Police Master Sgt. Hanie Baddiri; Police Staff Sgts. Iskandar Susulan, Almudzrin Hadjaruddin, and Ernisar Sappal; Police Corporal Sulki Andaki; and Police Patrolmen Moh. Nur Pasani, Alkajal Mandangan, and Rajiv Putalan.

The death of Major Marvin Indammog, commanding officer of the 9th Intelligence Security Unit; Capt. Irwin Managuelod, field service intelligence commander; Sgt. Eric Velasco, and Corporal Abdal Asula angered the military forces in Sulu as they accused the policemen of murdering the soldiers.

President Duterte had to go to Mindanao to ask the military not to exact revenge and trust the investigation of the NBI.

Gamboa said the transfer of the nine cops and the NBI probe have somehow eased the tension in Sulu.

“I don’t think there is still pressure or tension in Sulu especially that the Board of Inquiry composed of police and military officials stayed there for four days to check on the ground and conduct inquiry to improve the coordination between the PNP and the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines),” said Gamboa.

The military Inspector General and the PNP Internal Affairs Service met on Monday last week to iron out glitches in coordination between the two forces following the Jolo incident.