House’s 8th confirmed case recovers, tests negative for COVID-19 — Montales

Published July 12, 2020, 5:24 PM

by Charissa Luci-Atienza 

The House of Representatives announced on Sunday,  July 12, that a congressional staff who contracted COVID-19 last month, has tested negative for the coronavirus disease.


“We are pleased to announce that the Congressional staff, who was our 8th confirmed case, has now tested negative,” House Secretary General Atty. Jose Luis Montales said in a text message to the Manila Bulletin. 

The Lower Chamber’s eight confirmed case of COVID-19 is a legislative staff who stayed in Quezon City from June 17 to 23. 

When asked if the congressional staff is fully recovered, Montales said: “While he has tested negative, the LGU (local government unit)  daw wants him to undergo pa rin home quarantine. So I don’t really know if or when the LGU considers him “recovered”.

He said the concerned congressional staff is still staying in his province.

Last June 26, Montales announced that the House recorded its eight confirmed COVID-19 case. 

According to Montales,  the male congressional staff stayed in the staff house and visited their office once and interacted mainly with his fellow staff member, Chief of Staff, and consultant.

He said the Chief of Staff “tested negative” for the deadly disease, while the other staff member and the consultant “are yet to be tested and are being monitored.”

Montales said so far,  the House recorded 13 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with two deaths–an employee from Printing Service who died on March 15 and a 65-year old male staff of a lawmaker who passed away on March 21.

The latest case– a member of the chamber’s security staff– was announced on Saturday, July 11.

The security personnel who is under the Legislative Security Bureau last reported for work on July 6. He was the second House security staff who caught the disease. 

On June 8, Montales bared that two of their co- employees contracted the disease.

He said the two employees are a couple, one of whom is assigned at the Printing Office, while the other is at the Engineering Department.

He said the couple last reported for work on May 28.

Two House employees from Printing Service likewise had tested positive for coronavirus disease,  one of whom died on March 15 and the another one recovered.

Last March,  Montales disclosed that Bulacan 4th district Rep. Henry Villarica tested positive for COVID-19.

According to him,  Villarica, who last reported for work on March 4, was admitted to the hospital on March 12 for pneumonia.

Reports said Villarica attended an event, initiated by Baliuag Mayor Ferdie Estrella, who also contracted the disease. 

Estrella tested positive for COVID on March 8.