The phenomenal growth in the use of cell phones worldwide is astounding. From 1984 to 2004, cell phones reached the first billion; the second billion took just eighteen months; the third billion took only nine months; and by the end of 2008, four billion cell phones are expected to flood the world. Today, many people are already asking if there are health risks in using cell phones. Many people are getting disturbed because many users of cell phones are experiencing some health conditions – although the health conditions may also be attributable to other causes as well. Many people are bothered by reports that some illnesses and ailments may be due to excessive use of cell phones – especially when in the past a recent news item appeared that one well-known American politician was diagnosed with brain cancer probably due to the use of cell phones.
How about the so-called 5G (fifth generation technology) – the latest technology for networks. Is it also a health hazard? Many countries have banned 5G from their places because of its higher radio frequency.
Let me share some information about the use of cell phones. Hopefully, the readers of this column will share the following information to others as well. The information hereunder are found in the internet as well as in other research papers : –
- Do you know that exposure to information–carrying radio waves, such as those from cell phones have some impact in our human bodies ?
- Do you know that there are common illnesses and ailments which have all been scientifically linked to cell phone information–carrying radio waves? Like Alzheimer’s senility and dementia; Parkinsons’s; autism; fatigue; headaches; sleep disruptions; and altered memory function, poor concentration and spatial awareness.
- Do you know that even cancer and brain tumors are often cited also as potential health risks from cell phone radiation?
- Do you know that brain cancer has now surpassed leukemia as the number one cancer killer in children. In Australia, there has been an increase in pediatric brain cancers of twenty-one (21%) per cent in just ten (10) years. There are also studies showing a forty (40%) per cent brain tumor increase across the board in Europe and the U.K. over the last twenty (20) years.
- Do you know that there is a lag time of five to twenty years before many of the adverse effects of illnesses and ailments linked with the use of cell phone are clinically apparent?
- Do you know that we should never hold an infant while we are talking in a cell phone –because when we are using a cell phone, the radiation plume can easily reach an infant in our other arm and can penetrate the infant’s skull?
- Do you know that it is more harmful to use our cell phones inside buildings than in open space?
- Do you know that it is not good to place the cell phone on our belts, or pockets even when we are not using the cell phones – as radiation will penetrate our bodies wherever the cell phones are attached. Do you know that it is better to keep our cell phones far away from our bodies as possible. Rather than put our cell phone near our bodies (the worst is placing the cell phone in a pocket near our heart. Men usually place their cell phones when not in use in a pocket near their hearts). It is safer to keep our cell phones in our bags, backpacks or even in our car glove compartment.
- Do you know that for the protection of our children, we should discourage them from using cell phones. Otherwise, we should limit the use of cell phones by our children. Because the children’s developing nervous systems and thinner skulls are simply too vulnerable to cell phone damage.
- Do you know that there is a ranging controversy nowadays whether or not headsets may actually intensify our exposure to harmful radiation because the headset itself acts as an antenna which is inserted directly into our ear canal. While the debate on the pros and cons of cell phone headsets goes on, one group is suggesting that headsets are an ideal solution only if they were used with filters to stop the headset wire from acting as an effective antenna.
- Do you know that using the speakerphone instead of putting the phone to your ear is actually reducing exposure to radio waves?
Yes, although cell phone radiation is of low intensity – they can be harmful to the human body. If we cannot stop using cell phones, at lease we should regulate our use. Excessive use (using the cell phone for hours, especially the teen-agers) should be avoided.
Have a joyful day!
(For comments/reactions please send to Ms. Villafuerte’s email: [email protected]).