By Charina Clarisse L. Echaluce
A few days before Christmas, an 11-year-old boy became the first victim of firecracker for this year, the Department of Health (DOH) reported yesterday.
According to the Aksyon: Paputok Injury Reduction 2017 Report No. 1, a case of firecracker-related injury was recorded from of 6 a.m. of December 21 to 6 a.m. of December 22.
Based on the report, an 11-year old male from Pasig City sustained a blast injury in his right hand after falling victim to the illegal firecracker Piccolo that he was using. His case is currently being managed at the Amang Rodriguez Medical Center.
The number of cases however was lower than what was reported in the same period last year.
“This is five cases lower than the same time period as last year,” said the DOH report.
The report also said there was no reported fireworks ingestion case and stray bullet injury.
The DOH added that there was no death reported in the first day of their monitoring of firecracker-related injuries.
Earlier Health Undersecretary Gerardo Bayugo disclosed that a 50-percent drop in the number of firecracker-related injuries is expected this coming holiday season because of the full implementation of the nationwide firecrackers ban.
“Last year, we recorded a 32-percent reduction in injuries due to rumors that there will be a ban. So this year we see further reduction of 50 percent now that the ban is already in place,” Bayugo said.
Under the Executive Order no. 28, the use of firecrackers shall be limited to community fireworks displays, which must be under supervision of a trained individual. On the other hand, pyrotechnic devices may still be used outside community fireworks display areas.