By Argyll Cyrus Geducos
Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB) Chairman Dionisio Santiago has reportedly resigned on Monday under the orders of President Duterte.
This was revealed by Santiago in an interview over ABS-CBN Tuesday.
“Malacañang knows best. The boss is always right,” Santiago said.
It was also reported that Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea was the one who relayed Duterte’s instruction to Santiago.
However, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque was not able to confirm if Santiago had indeed stepped down from office.
“I have not received any information in this regard. No confirmation,” Roque told Palace reporters Tuesday morning.
“Although I’ve heard that he has resigned, I have no official information in this regard. We’re verifying it,” he added.
Santiago’s resignation came after his comment that the mega drug rehabilitation facility in Nueva Ecija was a “mistake”.
Santiago said last week that the facility is “ineffective” since it crowds the drug suspects together while cutting their ties from their families.
“That was a mistake. Ang problema, naging excited si President (The problem was the President got too excited),” Santiago said in an interview over ANC last week.
“‘Yung ginasta doon, puwedeng ginamit sa mga community based rehab yun, malilit which can only accommodate siguro mga 150 to 200 (The money used there could’ve been used to build community-based rehab facilities which can accommodate maybe around 150-200 persons),” he added.
The rehab facility, which has a maximum 10,000-bed capacity, was seen to help a lot of these surrenderers, but there were only 311 residents as of June.
Santiago is the second DDB chief to leave the post under the Duterte administration. He assumed the office last July 10, 2017.