By Richa Noriega
The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) is set to launch 20 free Wi-Fi sites in Isabela and Lamitan, Basilan on June 30.
In a statement on Sunday, the department said the launch is a milestone achievement in its efforts to reach the unserved and underserved areas in the country.
“By way of background, the initiative commenced in December 2019 where a backhaul link from Zamboanga City was installed to connect Isabela City, Basilan. Our technical team mounted a 33-meter guyed-trylon tower inside the premise of DICT Basilan Office and installed an AirFiber 5U IP Radio facing Zamboanga City,” DICT Mindanao Cluster 1 (DICT-MC1) Director Maria Teresa M. Camba said.
“This tower serves as the Hub for connecting the free Wi-Fi beneficiary sites. In January 2020, the same was also done in Lamitan City with the support of the LGU,” Camba added.
The following areas are the sites to be launched:
1. DICT Basilan Provincial Office
2. Basilan National High School
3. Basilan Provincial Capitol
4. Basilan Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office
5. Basilan Provincial Library
6. Infantry Brigade101 Headquarters, Isabela City
7. Isabela City Hall
8. Isabela City Maritime Police
9. Isabela City Port
10. Isabela City Post Office
11. Malamawi National High School
12. 18th Infantry Battalion, Armed Forces of the Philippines Camp, Lamitan City
13. Business Center, Lamitan City
14. Datu Kalun Plaza, Lamitan City
15. Digital Hub, Lamitan City
16. Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office, Lamitan City
17. Lamitan City Hall
18. Lamitan City Health Office
19. Lamitan City Port
20. Lamitan City Infirmary
“We cannot emphasize further the importance of connectivity and access, especially amid the health crisis we are in. It has become the lifeblood of our society, providing a sense of normalcy in our lives,” DICT Secretary Gregorio Honasan said.