Observe protocols – Du30; Sabah Pinoys return home

Published June 25, 2020, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

PUNCHLINE

By FRED M. LOBO

Fred M. Lobo
Fred M. Lobo

President Duterte has called anew for social distancing and observance of health protocols so the improving coronavirus disease (COVID-19) condition in many parts of the country would continue.

“Follow rules and regulations” for lower infection, higher recovery, and march to “new normal,” he said.

***

Dueterte, likewise, ordered  strict quarantine in Cebu City due to rising cases of infection, sending Environment Secretary Roy  Cimatu and other task force officials to  oversee the situation  there and  coordinate with officials of nearby Visayas provinces.

“Go fight the enemy—Covid. Huwag na tayo ng magsisihan,” he said.

***

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque reported that government’s strict home quarantine and other  rule/restrictions   helped contain the pandemic.

Science and data, not fear, were used to save thousands of lives with good results, Roque said.

***

He added that many parts of the country have been placed under General Community Quarantine or GCQ the more relaxed modified GCQ.

Metro Manila and other congested areas should try their best to improve their health situation rather that deteriorate, he advised.

***

Roque said that the government made the right decision in enforcing the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) over the entire Luzon last  March.

“If the government  did nothing, hundreds of thousands could have died as in other countries. Look at   Brazil..America, hundreds of thousands have died because many don’t believe in social distancing,” he said.

***

Roque also cited the country’s doubling rate of coronavirus cases which, he said, has slowed down to seven days while the critical care utilization rate is only 35 percent.

“It proves that we are improving when it comes to the fight against COVID-19.Unlike other countries with our population of 109 million, we have limited deaths to around 1,000,” he said.

***

He added that as of June 21, the country has recorded 30,052 COVID-19 cases with 7,893 recoveries and 1,169 deaths, and that the government has gradually relaxed the quarantine restrictions in many areas.

More businesses are being allowed to reopen subject to health protocols, same with  public transportation, and even face-to-face classes, he said.

***

But Roque warned that infections are still rising worldwide, with  the World Health Organization recently reporting  a “new and dangerous phase.”

Let’s heed the warning. Keep safe and continue fighting  thecoronavirus.

***

Roque also said a new interagency group will be handling returning  Filipinos from Sandakan, Sabah, starting June 30.

“Zamboanga City will be the processing area and we thank Mayor Beng Climaco for this. This will start on June 30,” he said.

***

Presidential peace adviser Carlito Galvez added that the government will  bring home thousands of Filipinos from Malaysia by the last week of June, as part of  the government’s action plan against the coronavirus.

Some 62,022 overseas Filipinos have already returned home from May 3 to June 22, the government said.

***

Meanwhile four in 10 Filipinos expect their quality of life to worsen in the next 12 months amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, according to a recent Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey.

Let’s fight “pessimism” and survive this pandemic.

 

 

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2001483,2918370,2918367,2918355,2918345,2918351,2918341]