By Argyll Cyrus Geducos
Malacañang urged the public to just stay at home to avoid getting COVID-19 while celebrating Father’s Day on Sunday.
While greeting fathers on their special day, Presidential spokesman Harry Roque on Saturday asked the public to celebrate at home despite dine-in services being allowed in areas under the general community quarantine (GCQ).
He likewise reminded the people that the threat of COVID-19 is still very much present.
“Wala pang bakuna, wala pang gamot, ang tanging magagawa lang po natin mapabagal ang pagkalat ng sakit (There’s still no cure or vaccine for COVID-19. The only thing we can do is contain its spread),” he said over state-run PTV-4.
“Homeliners muna tayo, social distancing, good hygiene, at manatiling malusog (Let’s be homeliners for now. Practice physical distancing, good hygiene, and stay healthy),” he added.
Dine-in services were allowed to operate in GCQ areas this month but at limited capacity.
On Mother’s Day last month, photos of people flocking to stores to buy cake surfaced on social media despite the constant reminder of the government to observe physical distancing.
According to Roque, the Inter-agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases will soon conduct a preliminary review of data to determine the fate of the quarantine in the Philippines.
“Lahat po ‘yan ay nakabase sa datos, nakabase sa siyensiya. Tayo po ang magdedesisyon kung ano ang mga mangyayari sa ating lugar (Everything is based on data, based on science. So the fate of the quarantine is in our hands),” he said.
“Nakikiusap po kami, kung hindi talaga kinakailangang lumabas, maging homeliners. Magsuot ng masks, manatiling malusog, maghugas ng kamay, gumamit ng mga disinfectants, at mag-observe ng social distancing (We ask you to stay at home if you do not need to go out. Wear masks, stay healthy, wash your hands, use disinfectants, and observe physical distancing),” he added.