Most areas under MGCQ due to sufficient hospital bed capacity for COVID-19

Published June 18, 2020, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Genalyn Kabiling

Several places in the country have been placed under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) partly due to the sufficient hospital bed capacity, Malacañang said Thursday.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque (RESIDENTIAL PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque
(RESIDENTIAL PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the country has so far has 13,597 hospital beds dedicated for coronavirus patients and 2,009 mechanical ventilators.

Of the total bed capacity for COVID-19 patients, Roque said 4,740 hospital beds or 34.9 percent are occupied.  At least 451 mechanical ventilators or 22.41 percent of the available ventilators are in use.

“We have 1,911 hospitals. Total beds devoted for COVID-19, 13,597.  Ang total number of beds occupied po ay 4,740, meaning ang ating bed occupancy rate national basis po ay 34.9 (At least 4,740 beds are occupied, meaning the national bed occupancy rate is 34.9%),” he said during a televised briefing.

“Kaya naman po karamihan ng lugar ngayon sa Pilipinas ay nasa MGCQ (That’s why many places in the Philippines now have been placed under MGCQ),” he said.

On the bed occupancy spread, Roque said 45.3 percent of the 2,111 beds in the Department of Health-COVID referral hospitals are occupied; 31.6 percent of 1,505 beds in other DOH accepting hospitals; 29.9 percent of 5,544 beds in local government units and other government hospitals; and 37.2 percent of 4,437 private hospitals.

Apart from the country’s hospital capacity, Roque cited that country’s positivity rate has also dropped to 7 percent this June based on 506,626 total tests conducted. The latest number of positive cases over the total persons tested was lower, compared to the 13 percent rate recorded last April, according Roque.

He also welcomed the country’s increase in the number of people recovering from the illness.

As of June 18, the health department has reported 562 new cases that pushed the total to 27,799. The recoveries soared to 7,090 while the death toll reached 1,116.

President Duterte had earlier approved the recommendation of the task force to place Metro Manila and several other places under GCQ until June 30.

The rest of the country has been placed under the most relaxed modified general community quarantine (MGCQ), except for Cebu City and Talisay City which are now under the stricter enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) and modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) respectively.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2000456,2913666,2913656,2913652,2913648,2913636,2913637]