By Argyll Cyrus Geducos
Malacañang assured the public that President Duterte is healthy after a photo showing him to be looking rather droopy surfaced on social media last week.
In an interview over state-run PTV-4, Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the public has nothing to worry about regarding Duterte’s health.
“Malakas na malakas po ang Presidente, nagyayabang pa nga siya, na pagkatapos niyang mag-stay sa Davao after 67 days sa Manila ay nawala ang kaniyang tiyan (The President is very strong. He’s even boasting that his stomach flattened after staying for 67 days in Manila),” he said.
“So masigla po ang Presidente, wala pong dahilan para tayo ay magkaroon ng concern sa kaniyang kalusugan (The President is well, there’s no reason for the public to be concerned about his health),” he added.
President Duterte had just returned to Manila over the weekend after staying in Davao City for two weeks.
The President had stayed in Malacañang for more than two months due to the quarantine measures against COVID-19. He first visited Davao in mid-May but only stayed there for two days. He then returned to his hometown on May 30 and went back to Manila over the weekend.
A photo of President Duterte and his long-time aide Senator Bong Go circulated online last week. Both were wearing face masks as a precautionary measure against COVID-19 while showing the administration’s signature fist bump.
However, Twitter users observed that the President appeared to have lost weight and that his eyes looked droopy.
Early last month, the Supreme Court junked a petition of a private lawyer to disclose President Duterte’s health records. Malacañang has repeatedly insisted that Duterte is only compelled to disclose his medical records in case of a serious illness.
Since becoming president, President Duterte has disclosed that he is suffering from a number of health conditions such as Buerger’s Disease, Barrett’s Esophagus, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Spinal Issues, daily migraines, and Myasthenia gravis.