Wounded teen NPA suspect saved by soldiers

Published June 7, 2020, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Martin Sadongdong

A teenage girl suspected to be a member of the New People’s Army (NPA) who was supposedly left bleeding to death by her comrades after a fierce encounter with the military in Kitaotao, Bukidnon has been saved by the troops, a military report revealed Sunday.

Alias Nina, 17, was rescued by soldiers from the 3rd Infantry Battallion (3IB) during a clearing operation in Sitio Pinanubuan in Barangay Sinuda last Friday.

According to a report from the 3IB, the soldiers had just encountered suspected NPA rebels belonging to the Southern Mindanao Regional Committee (SMRC) when they found the wounded suspect, who was hit in the left thigh and lower right leg.

The troops responded to reports from civilians about the presence of an armed group which was allegedly conducting extortion activities in the community.

A gunbattle ensued between the troops and the suspects which lasted for 30 minutes. The suspects fled after being overpowered by the troops, which led to the rescue of Nina.

“It’s a miracle that she was found by our forces. An hour late could have been fatal as she could have died due to loss of blood,” said Lieutenant Geneneral Jose Faustino, commander of Eastern Mindanao Command (EastMinCom).

According to the military report, Nina was a supply officer for the SMRC.

Nina allegedly studied combatant skills in the main campus of a local learning center in her hometown in Talaingod, Davao del Norte sometime in 2018, when she was still 15 years old.

“We were taught to fight against the military. We learned basic formation until we were taught proper fighting techniques through immediate action drills (IAD),” Nina told her rescuers in her native tonguw.

Nina was given medical first aid by troops before she was brought to German Hospital in Buda, Marilog, Davao City.

She was eventually transferred to Southern Philippine Medical Center for further treatment where she was declared in stable condition.

Troops recovered from her possession an improvised explosive device (IED) and a hand grenade.