By Jean Fernando
The Paranaque City Health Office recorded yesterday that the number of people infected with the coronavirus disease in the city rose by 24 in two consecutive days, bringing the total to 702.
Despite this, the City Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (CESU) disclosed that the city has the highest number recovery from the disease with 417 or 59.4 percent since May 25, Monday, this week. “This is by far the highest number of recoveries in a day. Fifty nine percent is huge, “according to Dr. Darius Sebastian, chief of the CESU.”
Sebastian said that said figures showed that the city is indeed approaching the flattening of the COVID curve.” He also announced that only one patient succumbed to the disease for the past three days, bringing the death toll in the city to 46 or remain at 6.6 percent.
In its case bulletin posted on May 27, Wednesday, the number of active cases in the city is at 239 or 34 percent including the patients with unknown addresses or barangays. He said they recorded a total recovery of 380 (56.0 percent) patients last Monday, 18 patients recovered on Tuesday, bringing it to 398 recoveries (57.7 percent), and another 19 patients recuperated on Wednesday, fetching to 417 (59.4 percent) recoveries.
Mayor Edwin Olivarez noted that the rising number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the city is due to the city government’s mass testing efforts in which they were able to identify and isolate infected residents from their communities.
Olivarez added that the artificial increase in the city’s COVID-19 cases is because of the extended mass testing program. He stressed that with mass testing operations, the city will be able to identify and isolate infected residents from their communities.
Since the pandemic started two months ago, Sebastian said, Barangay BF Homes registered the highest number of recoveries with 49 patients, followed by Barangay San Dionisio with 55 recoveries while 42 patients have gotten better in Barangay Don Bosco. Barangay San Antonio still has the highest number of coronavirus cases with 42, followed by Barangay Dionisio registered with 41 cases, and Barangay Baclaran with 30 cases, as of May 27, Wednesday.
Sebastian said the city government has recorded 24 new confirmed COVID-19 cases in the city after the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine released the results of the rapid tests conducted in Barangay Baclaran during a three-day lockdown last week. He said the city health office was able to conduct swab and PRC tests to about 900 individuals during the lockdown in Barangay Baclaran in which all the results will be known until early next week.
“Of the 24 new coronavirus cases, 14 of which are from Barangay Baclaran. We are expecting this increase after verifying the swab tests results, “the CESU chief explained. Sebastian added that they have already identified three more barangays with several COVID-19 cases wherein hundreds of residents should immediately undergo rapid testing.