By Armando B. Fenequito Jr.
DAVAO CITY — Mayor Sara Z. Duterte has advised the local government unit (LGU) of M’lang, Cotabato province to file charges against the 19-year-old male student positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) who sneaked into the province.
Duterte said in an interview with 87.5 Davao City Disaster Radio that if the student violated the quarantine protocols in the province, the LGU must file the cases against him.
Cotabato Provincial Health Officer Philbert Malaluan had earlier revealed that he arrived in the town of M’lang as a passenger of an ambulance which carried a patient from the city on May 6.
Malaluan said the patient was not part of the ambulance trip manifest and also did not register nor coordinate with Task Force Sagip Stranded North Cotabateños.
He said the patient has no 14-day health and quarantine certificate from Davao City which was his point of origin.
On May 9, the patient suffered from sore throat and was given antibiotics by the M’lang Municipal Health Office.
Malalaluan said the patient underwent swab testing on May 14 which turned out positive based on the result from Real Time – Polymerase Chain Reaction machine on May 17.
The patient also has a co-morbidity — juvenile diabetes mellitus.
Duterte said the 19-year-old man is the second student found positive for COVID when they arrived in their hometowns.
“Supposedly, na ang mga estudyante naka-quarantine man na sila, no? Ngano duha naman na sila nga nag positive sila (Supposedly, these students should be under quarantine. How come they become positive?), she said.
The mayor said the students reportedly violated the Enhanced Community Quarantine rules in the city by leaving their homes and contracted the disease.