Paranaque City places 10 sitios in Brgy. Baclaran under 3-day ‘calibrated lockdown’

Published May 20, 2020, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Jean Fernando

The Paranaque City local government announced on Wednesday that it will place a total of 10 streets or sitios in Barangay Baclaran under a three-day “calibrated lockdown” starting Thursday, May 21 at 6 a.m., until Saturday, May 23, at 6 a.m. due the high number of confirmed cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

The Paranaque City local government announced on Wednesday that it will place a total of 10 streets or sitios in Barangay Baclaran under a three-day “calibrated lockdown” starting Thursday, May 21 at 6 a.m., until Saturday, May 23, at 6 a.m. due the high number of confirmed cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

Mayor Edwin Olivarez Barangay said Baclaran was initially recommended by barangay health officers and was selected by the city’s health department based on the results of community-based testing conducted by the Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit.

The streets to be placed under a calibrated lockdown are in Area Zone 4 in Baclaran, namely: Bagong Sikat, Bagong Lipunan, Bagong Pag-asa, Bagong Ilog, E. Rodriguez, Bagong Buhay, Bagong Silang, Dimasalang Extension, Mabuhay, and 12 de Junio.

The area is famous for the National Shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help also known as the Redemptorist Church or Baclaran Church, dedicated to Our Mother of Perpetual Help. A mosque is also located in the area.

Records showed that COVID-19 incident in the said area is “alarming and per our contact tracing, persons who were positive for the virus are occupying a very closely populated area and household proximities,” Olivarez said.

Baclaran was among the three barangays that were placed last week “under immediate concern” by the city government including San Dionisio and San Antonio after COVID-19 cases surged in these areas over the weekend.

The city health office reported 41 coronavirus cases on May 2 and recorded the highest of 49 cases last May 15 in Baclaran alone.

As of Wednesday, the city has recorded a total of 649 individuals positive for the virus and 42 deaths, while 355 patients recovered.

Olivarez said that instead of the earlier plan of imposing a “strict community quarantine,” they focused instead on the particular streets, sitios, or compound inside the barangay’s clustering of COVID-19.

“Immediate intervention for mass testing, isolation, and quarantine is of urgent need to avert the spread of the disease in Barangay Baclaran,” he added.

Olivarez said that during the lockdown, they will conduct intensified testing and monitoring starting on Thursday at 6 a.m. until midnight of Saturday in the said areas. Disinfection and flushing will also be conducted in the said areas on Friday.

The mayor said the quarantine pass issued by the barangay will be suspended during the lockdown while banks, stores, gasoline stations, money remittance centers, and markets will also be closed. Unauthorized vehicles will not be allowed to exit or enter the area.

Olivarez said that those who tested negative for the virus will be transferred to a health facility for another 14- day quarantine.

Concurrently the chairman of the Metro Manila Council, Olivarez gave the affected residents the assurance that the city government will provide food, cash, and other forms of assistance during the three-day lockdown.

He said the lockdown was approved Monday night by the Regional Inter Agency Task Force on COVID-19.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2037793,2848912,2848908,2848895,2848901,2848891,2848882]