Navotas to implement MECQ in compliance with IATF

Published May 16, 2020, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Joseph Pedrajas

Navotas City will no longer be placed under extreme enhanced community quarantine (EECQ) as the local government complies with the directive from the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF).

Navotas Mayor Tobias “Toby” Tiangco (Navotas PIO)
Navotas Mayor Tobias “Toby” Tiangco (Navotas PIO)

The clarification was made by Mayor Toby Tiangco on Saturday after sending an appeal letter, which he signed on May 13, to the agency to maintain the ECQ status of Navotas while the rest of Metro Manila is already under modified ECQ (MECQ).

“Sa IATF Resolution No. 37, ginawa nilang pinal ang desisyon na isailalim na sa MECQ ang lahat ng lungsod sa Metro Manila kabilang ang Navotas. Tulad ng sinabi natin, susunod tayo anuman ang desisyon ng IATF kaya naka-MECQ na po tayo (Based on IATF Resolution No. 37, they have made a final decision which places the whole Metro Manila under MECQ. And this includes Navotas. Like what I said, we will comply),” Tiangco said.

As of Saturday, the city has already reported 92 confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases. According to the health department, more than half of the city’s total barangays fall under the critical zone for possible COVID-19 spread. This is the reason why Tiangco previously asked the national government if they could maintain their EECQ status, which they imposed starting May 6.

The local government said that it would comply with the IATF resolution and follow guidelines already set for areas under MECQ.

Meanwhile, Tiangco called on his constituents to take stronger measures so they could not catch the virus, which include downloading the Philippine Red Cross’ RC143 mobile application which tracks COVID-19 patients, staying at home all the time, wearing of face masks, and physical distancing.

“Takot akong magkaroon ng 2nd wave ng COVID-19. Hindi pa man natin napapababa ang mga kaso sa ating lungsod, mas lumaki pa ang tsansa na magkahawaan dahil sa pagluwag ng mga panuntunan. Sana mali po ako (I’m afraid of the second wave of infection. While the number of our cases have not yet dwindled, the risk of infection also gets higher because of the easing of quarantine guidelines. I hope that I am not right),” he said.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2007358,2843221,2843218,2843201,2843178,2843181,2843169]