By Rizal Obanil
Ex-Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) player Roger Yap aired his side on the allegations that he shouted and cursed at a personnel of the Pasig City government.
Yap, in an interview by Mariz Umali on GMA-7’ 24 Oras Thursday, explained that the whole incident was a mere misunderstanding and the wrong information reaching Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto.
“Ang problema lang kasi dinagdagan ‘yung kuwento. Ang dumating kay Mayor, nagmumura daw ako, nagwawala daw ako diyan. (The problem is that certain details were added to the story. The information that reached the mayor is that I was cursing and making a scene),” Yap said.
In the interview, Yap explained that he merely asked the city hall personnel about the food coupon that the group was then distributing to residents in the area.
He also denied that he cursed at the said personnel but merely said his piece to them on the matter.
“Hindi naman ako galit. Siguro namisinterpret lang nya (I definitely wasn’t mad. Maybe it was misinterpreted),” Yap said.
What made him come out in the open, even though he wasn’t actually identified by the Pasig mayor, was the bashing he got on social media from netizens who reacted to the incident.
He also said that he had already talked to Mayor Sotto on the matter and told the local official his side on the matter.
Despite this though, Yap said that he felt sad about the whole incident because even though the matter was already settled, he feels like the damage on his reputation had been done by people who were quick to judge him.
It can be recalled that on Wednesday the Pasig Mayor via Facebook livestream, called out the PBA player for his alleged actions against a Pasig government personnel.
Sotto then said that he was tempted to name the said ex-PBA because of how angry he was at that time, but decided to leave the matter to his brother-in-law PBA player Marc Pingris instead.