Sen. Binay expresses dismay over NTC order vs ABS-CBN

Published May 5, 2020, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Hanah Tabios

Senator Nancy Binay could not hide her disappointment amid the National Telecommunications Commission’s (NTC) Cease and Desist Order against media giant ABS-CBN on Tuesday.

Senator Nancy Binay (FACEBOOK / MANILA BULLETIN)
Senator Nancy Binay
(FACEBOOK / MANILA BULLETIN)

In a tweet, Binay pointed out that the ongoing global health crisis needs a legitimate source of information as saving lives remain crucial.

“In these trying times, information save lives. Tapos, ngayon niyo pa tatanggalin ang 11,000 Pilipinong katuwang sa paghahatid ng impormasyon? (Then, now you will remove the 11,000 Filipinos who have been helping deliver information?),” the senator asked.

The network has previously said that the shutdown will create havoc to families of the network’s workers composed of regular and project employees and on-cam talents.

“You don’t kill the people and the platform delivering valuable life-saving information,” Binay added, enjoining others to use social media to protest against the announcement from NTC.

Late Tuesday afternoon, the NTC surprised the public by announcing its order to ABS-CBN to stop its television and broadcasting stations nationwide due to the absence of a valid congressional franchise required for its continuous operations.

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra, however, said that the network can still appeal before the courts.

The Lopez-owned network is given 10 days to respond upon receipt of the said order from the NTC.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2004697,2918878,2918898,2918895,2918833,2918827,2918824]