Lacson reiterates criticism on DOH handling of government response to COVID-19

Published May 1, 2020, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Mario B. Casayuran

Filipinos don’t deserve to be the last race dying.

This was the grim scenario painted by Senator Panfilo M. Lacson, chairman of the Senate national defense and security committee, for the country because of the alleged inefficient and mishandling by the Department of Health (DoH) of the deadly coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak.

Senator Panfilo M. Lacson (CZAR DANCEL / MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO)
Senator Panfilo M. Lacson
(CZAR DANCEL / MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO)

‘’With less than 100,000 tests so far conducted and quite a number of RT-PCR tests not yet run but just stored, we may outdo the Spanish flu of 1918 that lasted 36 months and up to 50 million deaths,’’ Lacson said in his Twitter account.

In his daily media briefing today, May 1, PCOO Secretary Martin Andanar said the number of COVID-19 infection continues to rise despite enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) protocols and media warnings on the effect of the deadly virus to citizens’ health and to the economy.

Lacson stressed that the DOH needs a leader who can lead.

He was referring to DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III, whom the senator has been criticizing for being inefficient.

A majority of the 24-member Senate recently crossed party lines in signing a resolution asking Duque to consider resigning for his failed handling of the COVID-19 crisis.

Although the senators’ resolution was not addressed to Malacanang, President Duterte publicly backed and retained Duque at his DOH post.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2002891,2741681,2741688,2741699,2741673,2741666,2741669]