By Armando Fenequito Jr.
DAVAO CITY – The Davao de Oro government has decided to continue with the implementation of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in the province until MAY 15, even after the National Inter-agency Task Force on coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) had already recommended that it shift to general community quarantine (GCQ).
Governor Jayvee Tyron Uy said, in a statement, that members of the Provincial Task Force-COVID-19 have agreed to continue with the ECQ based on the recommendations of epidemiologists and infectious disease experts in their meeting on Thursday.
“Gisiguro nato ang atong desisyon nakabase sa siyensa ug maayong pangatarungan. Dili ta pwede mag saya-saya’g desisyon o magpinataka tungod kay kinabuhi natong tanan ang ginaistoryahon (We make sure that our decision is based on sound reason trough scientific explanation. We could not make reckless decission because te healt and lives of our people are at risk here),” he said.
Uy said the province will continue to implement GCQ since the risk of viral infection was still present..
He said the experts told them to finish the two incubation periods, or 28 days, since the last time the province recorded its last COVID-19 case on April 7. If the local government follows this, the incubation periods will be finished on May 5.
And if there are no more positive cases recorded on May 5 or beyond, there would be the possibility that the virus would have already been controlled.
He said the shift to GCQ should not be hastened because the premature lifting of ECQ could lead to worse cases because of the possible second wave of the spread of the virus.
“Mao gyud ni ang labing hadlok kay sure ko, balik ta’g sugod ani. Karong wala na ta’y infections hapit na ang usa ka bulan, i-sustain na lang nato ni. Gamay’ng antos ug mahuman ra gyud ta (It is more scary if we will start again on scratch. Now that the province has not recorded any infection in almost a month, we should sustain this),” he said.
Uy said the other reason for extending the ECQ was the recent death of a COVID-19 patient in Tagum City, Davao del Norte with the victim not knowing that he was positive for the viral ailment when he died last Tuesday.
“Naningkamot kita sa atong tracing arun masuta kung katong pasyente aduna’y nakahimamat nga taga Davao de Oro o nakaadto gyud sa ato. Tungod kay duol lang ta sa Tagum, we are not taking any chances (Our team is trying now its best to know there persons who have close contact with Davao de Oro people. This because we are just kilometers away from Tagum City and we are not taking any chances),” he said.
Uy said they had actually planned to lift the ECQ on May 7 but with the recent case in Davao de Norte, they decided to backtrack, and proceed with the original schedule as they chose to take calculated risks.
“We say, early lifting of the ECQ is a risk not worth taking,” he said.