By Leslie Ann Aquino
The Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in Kuwait will no longer accept applications for the Department of Labor and Employment’s “Abot Kamay ang Pagtulong” program for overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) starting April 22.
In an advisory, POLO Kuwait Labor Attache Nasser Mustafa cited “limited allocation” as the reason for the decision.
The advisory reads: “Please be informed that as of April 20, 2020, POLO Kuwait received 12,753 applications for the one-time financial assistance of 200 USD for OFWs who are displaced from their jobs due to COVID-19 (DOLE AKAP).
POLO-Kuwait has only a total allocation of 10,000 OFWs to avail of this program.
In this regard and considering the limited allocation, we will be closing the DOLE-AKAP application on Wednesday, April 22, 2020, 12:01 am.”
On Sunday, the DOLE said it already received more than 30,000 requests for assistance from OFWs wanting to avail of the AKAP program.
The DOLE had earlier said that OFWs, both land-based and sea-based, who have been displaced by a lockdown in a foreign country, will be given a one-time financial assistance amounting to P10,000 or USD200, or the equivalent amount in their host countries, under the AKAP program.
The program seeks to assist about 150,000 OFWs on-site or in host countries affected by lockdowns and those in the Philippines who are unable to return to their destinations