By Leslie Ann G. Aquino
More than 200,000 workers have already benefitted from the Department of Labor and Employment’s one-time P5,000 COVID-19 Adjustment Measures Program (CAMP) financial assistance.
The Labor department reported that since the implementation of CAMP on March 23, it was able to provide financial assistance to 236,412 workers from 10,663 establishments, with total cash disbursements of P1.2 billion.
CAMP served as a safety net for workers in the formal sector to mitigate the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Data provided by DOLE showed that of the more than 200,000 workers, 68,091 came from the National Capital Region where the highest displacement was recorded with 246,810 workers.
Earlier the DOLE- NCR posted on their Facebook page the list of more than 1,000 private establishments whose application for CAMP has been approved.
Included in the list, which may be accessed via http://campinfo.dole.gov.ph or http://ncr.dole.gov.ph/, are the following establishments Advantage Product Corp., Alarcon Catering Services, Bea’ Happy Kitchen, Blue Green Enterprise, and Century Woodmart, among others.
The total number of worker-beneficiaries in other regions, meantime, are as follows : Region III with 46,368; Region IVA with 29,032; Region VII with 21,945; Region VI with 12,884; Region 11 with 12,589; and CAR with 10,516.
Region V with 7,548; Region II with 6,000; Region X with 5,572; Region I with 4,048; CARAGA with 3,805; Region VIII with 3,412; Region IX with 2,165; Region XII with 1,969; and MIMAROPA with 1,709.
On April 16, Thursday, DOLE announced the suspension of acceptance of application for financial assistance under the CAMP for formal sector workers.
The Labor department said it has been swamped with volumes of requests that the available fund for the program amounting to P1.6 billion is very close to being depleted.
DOLE said 85,563 more workers are set to be provided with cash assistance in the coming days from the remainder of the P1.6 billion initial allocation for the program.
The Labor department said it is now working closely with other agencies, including Congress, for an immediate alternative program to help ease the burden on the greater number of workers who did not benefit from CAMP.
Meanwhile, the DOLE is also suspending their emergency employment program for informal sector workers or the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (TUPAD) – Barangay Ko, Bahay Ko Disinfecting/Sanitation Project (BKBK), for the remainder of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) period.
DOLE Assistant Secretary Dominique Tutay said the suspension is due to insufficient funds.
“We weren’t given additional funding for both CAMP (COVID- 19 Adjustment Measures Program) and TUPAD-BKBK,” she said in an interview.
“TUPAD will continue, but only as a regular program (of DOLE). This means that the resumption of its implementation will be during the recovery phase (or after ECQ),” added Tutay.
She said they will just finish their ongoing commitment to around 235,000 workers in the informal economy until April 30.
So far, DOLE had already disbursed P410,739,654.29 for the salaries of the 178,549 workers under the emergency employment program.