By Waylon Galvez
The Games and Amusement Board has moved to help local pro golfers and a number of teaching pros in these dire times.
GAB chairman Bahan Mitra said he has asked the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to include 51 GAB-licensed players and coaches in the program of cash relief.
“We have 47 teaching pros and four touring pros who requested for assistance,” Mitra said Thursday when contacted by Manila Bulletin. “We’ve already requested the DSWD to include them in the program.”
The 47 teaching pros come from the Philippine Army Golf Club (21) and the Philippine Navy Golf Club (26), while the four pro golfers that asked for assistance are Jhonnel Ababa, Jeffrey Pito-On, Rico Depilo and Marvin Dumandan.
“That’s what we have so far on our list asking for support,” said Mitra.
GAB initially got approval for selected pro boxers, as well as fighters from Mixed Martial Arts and Muay Thai to receive support from DSWD.
Under the agency’s program Assistance to Individuals during Crisis Situation or AICS, the beneficiaries are expected to get P5,000 cash assistance and P1,000 worth of gift card for groceries.
The GAB list will be reviewed by the DSWD for confirmation.
Former jungolfer Oliver Gan, recently appointed GAB consultant for golf, said the help will come in handy since all golf courses are closed while tournaments were scratched because of the health crisis.
“We understand their situation because teaching pros only get they money from fees, or tips every time they help somebody. With golf courses still closed, they have no source of income,” said Gan, a former Philippine Sports Commission program coordinator for NCR in the Philippine Sports Institute.
“As for the touring pros, it’s also the same, because these pro golfers get their resources during tournaments – depending on what place they finish. Now that events are postponed, it’s also a problem for them.”
“That’s why it’s a big help if the DSWD includes them on the GAB list for the assistance,” added Gan.