By Betheena Kae Unite
The search for alternate container yards to free up space in major ports in Manila continues as more than half of the unclaimed cargoes intended for transfer to other yards in Luzon have been moved, the Bureau of Customs said on Tuesday, April 14.
A total of 2,738 unclaimed containers have already been transferred to Pacific Roadlink Container, Inc. (PRLI) in Bulacan, Manila North Harbour Port, Inc. (MNHPI), and Laguna Gateway Inland Terminal (LGIT) to ease yard utilization of ports in Manila.
The Customs bureau also bared that while it is in the process of transferring a total of 4,000 overstaying and under processing containers to the three yards in Luzon, it is continuously searching for alternate container yards to be used in transferring Customs-cleared containers.
Movement and transfer of reefer containers is also under way as the Port of Manila (POM) and Manila International Container Port (MICP) continue to coordinate with respective terminal operators for transfer of reefer vans to storage facilities on lease. Overstaying and forfeited shipments, including items not fit for human consumption, were also disposed through condemnation, which will be shouldered by the shipping lines, the bureau said.
These measures, the bureau added, aim to ensure that flow of goods remain unhampered and cargo traffic in the ports will remain smooth during the enhanced community quarantine placed over Luzon. Based on the data submitted by terminal operators, the average utilization rate in MICP and POM for April 2020 is 78 percent and 63 percent, respectively.
Last week, the Customs bureau donated 320 containers of rice and 186 reefers of frozen fish to the Office of the Civil Defense – Department of National Defense. Preparations for withdrawal and distribution are now underway.