By Jhon Aldrin Casinas
On Easter Sunday, a 95-year-old man from Mandaluyong City was discharged from hospital after recovering from (COVID-19.
In a video shared on the Facebook page of Mayor Carmelita Abalos, Cresencio Junio was met with applause and cheers from health workers of Mandaluyong City Medical Center (MCMC).
According to City Public Information Officer Jimmy Isidro, Junio is believed to be the oldest person so far known to have recovered from the disease in the country.
“He was admitted to the hospital on March 20. It was on April 4 when he tested negative for COVID-19,” he told the Manila Bulletin in a phone interview.
“I’m a 95-year-old COVID survivor” was seen written on the piece of paper Junio was holding when he came out of the hospital.
The city mayor greeted Junio before he boarded an ambulance. She was accompanied by her husband, former mayor Atty. Benhur Abalos.
According to the World Health Organization, elderly people are among the most vulnerable to COVID-19.
In its Facebook page, MCMC called Junio as a “COVID warrior” who serves as their reminder to never give up in the battle against the coronavirus disease.
“Binigyan buhay mo ang lahat ng may COVID-19 na maging matatag sa kabila ng kanilang karamdaman, at maging ang aming mga frontliners na huwag sumuko sa laban,” the hospital wrote. “You keep the fire of hope and faith burning.”
(You have empowered all COVID-19 patients to be strong despite their illness and even our frontliners to never give up the fight.)
Mayor Abalos said Junio has given them hope amid the threat of the coronavirus that has already infected 162 people in Mandaluyong, according to the city’s latest update.
She also expressed her gratitude to all doctors, nurses, and frontline personnel who took care of the recovered patient at the city-run hospital.