By Merlina Hernando-Malipot
The Department of Education (DepEd) on Tuesday announced that the participants to its two national events held last March have already completed their preventive quarantine and are so far free from any symptoms related to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
“We are happy to report that 7,074 delegates of the National Festival of Talent (NFOT) and the National Schools Press Conference have all cleared their precautionary quarantine without any symptoms having developed,” DepEd Undersecretary and spokesperson Nepomuceno Malaluan said.
The NFOT was held in Ilagan City, Isabela while the NSPC was held in Tuguegarao City in Cagayan last March 9 to 13.
Malaluan said that “we have continued to monitor a very small number of delegates still classified as PUIs [Persons Under Investigation] that are either under observation, treatment or awaiting medical clearance, but we are not informed whether any tests have been conducted (on them)”.
DepEd official ‘still recovering’
Meanwhile, Malaluan noted that one DepEd official is “still recovering” in a hospital after testing positive for COVID-19.
“As you know there was only one delegate, the supervisor from Mandaluyong, that was reported to have been hospitalized and tested positive for COVID-19,” Malaluan said. “He is recovering but has yet to be discharged from the hospital,” he added.
DepEd said that it has also checked on the patient’s colleagues prior to hospitalization and none of them has reported any respiratory symptoms. The COVID-19 positive DepEd official had reportedly “visited some competition events at the NFOT.”
DepEd has that it has since coordinated with the Department of Health (DOH) for an “extensive contact tracing” as it is still an imperative for an effective containment. “The DOH will oversee the contact tracing and notification within and outside DepEd following their protocols,” DepEd added.