By Warren Elijah E. Valdez
DAVAO CITY – Mayor Sara Duterte has confirmed that there was already community transmission of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the city.
“We already have confirmed a community transmission (in the city),” she said during an interview on Davao City Disaster Radio on Monday.
Duterte, however, did not give further details about the confirmed cases, but she mentioned she was informed by the doctors here that there had been a case of transmission to a person who did not have any travel history outside of Davao City.
“Kanang walay travel history, kanang naa lang diri, pagkahuman natakdan pud sila, so naa na tay confirmed na patient diri sa Davao City (There are confirmed cases here in Davao City who did not have travel history, who were only here in the city, and they were already infected),” Duterte added.
She said apart from having no travel history, the patient also did not have direct contacts with those who were reported to be positive of the infection.
On Sunday afternoon, the Department of Health (DOH)- Davao reported a total of 48 patients confirmed positive cases for COVID-19 infection in Davao region. It said there are a total of five patients who recovered and four fatalities.
Davao City’s tally surged to a total number of 40 COVID-19 positive cases, with four recorded recoveries, and four fatalities.
Davao del Norte has three positive cases; Davao del Sur with two COVID-19 patients; Davao de Oro with one, reported to have already recovered; Davao Oriental with two COVID-19 patients being treated; while Davao Occidental remains negative of any COVID-19 infection.
Duterte, however, reminded the public not to focus on the positive cases , but rather focus on following the instructions of medical doctors amid the threat of the spread of infection.
“Let us stay home. Let us observe social distancing of about to two meters from each other, constantly wash our hands with soap and water, and we must wear the appropriate type of masks when going outside,” she said.