By Warren Elijah Valdez
DAVAO CITY – Displaced vendors of the shuttered Roxas Night Market here are expected receive their first salary by the first week of April from the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantage/Displaced Workers (TUPAD) program, an official said.
Philippine Commission for the Urban Poor (PCUP) Supervising Commissioner for Mindanao Norman Baloro said, during an interview with the Davao City Disaster Radio on Monday, that the beneficiaries are expected to submit their daily time record (DTR) on Tuesday, March 31.
“It will be processed on our (city government’s) regular accounting rules and regulations. We are going to process their DTR, their accomplishment reports and their certificates of employment,” he said.
“We’d expect that for the first week of April, they will be given by batch of their salary since they started working from March 17 until March 31,” he said.
Baloro also clarified that all of the guidelines of the program given to these displaced vendors have been based on the guidelines as approved by the city government and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
“We cannot divert into other measures,” he said, noting that the highest number of work schedule allotted for the displaced vendors is only 30 days per household.
There are a total of 502 displaced workers enrolled under the TUPAD program which include night market vendors and masseurs, who are now working with the City Environment and Natural Resources Office (CENRO) in improving the Roxas Night Market through landscaping, cleaning, painting, and tree planting in the area.
The TUPAD program beneficiaries started last March 17 and is expected to complete their program on April 29. The beneficiaries will be receiving a salary of P386 per day or a total of P11,880.
Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio previously ordered the indefinite suspension of the Roxas Night Market’s regular operation due to the threat of the spread of the COVID-19.