By Glazyl Masculino
BACOLOD CITY– The city government of Bacolod has started to distribute food packs to more than 40,000 households on Monday as the city has been placed under Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from March 30 to April 14.
Mayor Evelio Leonardia approved the release of P30 million last week as initial funding for the Emergency Food Assistance Program of the city for identified indigent families and other residents in 61 barangays displaced by the ongoing ECQ.
The fund was used to purchase rice, canned goods, and noodles for the food assistance.
The Department of Social Services and Development (DSSD) identified and classified the beneficiaries of the food assistance, through the help of the village chiefs. “These are the among the poorest of the poor,” the mayor said.
“We see to it that this is well explained through information dissemination campaign,” Leonardia said.
“This is just the start. We assure our people that this food assistance is on top of our priorities and the resources of the city will be geared towards achieving this goal,” the local chief executive said.
Leonardia said that there will be more funding for food assistance.
“We will program our budget so that we can serve the most number for the longest possible time,” he added.