By Jonas Terrado
PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial Monday extended the ban prohibiting teams from holding practices, scrimmages and other related activities due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Marcial said in a memo that teams won’t be allowed to stage such activities until further notice after the government imposed an “enhanced community quarantine” and declared a state of calamity
The league had earlier ordered teams from taking a two-week break from practices which was supposed to end on Friday.
“In light of the country’s current situation, the Office of the Commissioner is extending all its member teams’ two-week break from practices, scrimmages and other related activities which was supposed to end March 27 — Friday, until further notice,” Marcial said in the memo.
“Declaration no. 929 places the whole country under state of calamity and the nation’s capital under ‘enhanced quarantine,’” he added. “We ask your full cooperation and compliance and encourage everyone to stay fit and healthy in the confines and safety of their homes.
“Please continue to follow the guidelines set by our government health workers and standby for updates,” Marcial also said.
— Jonas Terrado (@jonastsinelas) March 23, 2020
The latest memo puts no end in sight not only to the pandemic but also a timetable for the resumption of the PBA Philippine Cup which started last March 8.
The league suspended play for the unforeseeable future after defending five-time champion San Miguel Beer defeated Magnolia 94-78 in the opener at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
Players have been forced to train on their own homes since the league stopped all activities last week because of the pandemic.
While some have welcomed the decision to put the games on hold for the safety of everyone in the PBA community, some like NLEX coach Yeng Guiao did admit that being on the shelve has been “getting boring.”