By Raymund Antonio
Vice President Leni Robredo on Sunday asked social media trolls for a ceasefire amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic that so far infected 380 people and claimed 25 lives in the country.
“Ano na lang, balik kayo sa ganyan kapag wala na tayo problema (Just go back to what you’re doing if we no longer have a problem),” Robredo, who has been a constant victim of online attacks, said on her radio show, “BISErbsiyong Leni.”
The vice president then advised trolls to donate their salaries for health workers who are on the frontlines in the fight against COVID-19 instead of spreading fake news.
“Ito, hindi na nahiya. Hindi na nahiya iyong nagpapakalat ng fake news… Hindi sila nakakatulong (They should be ashamed of themselves of spreading fake news…They are not helpful),” Robredo said.
The former lawmaker made the call amid the false reports and misinformation spreading on social media and messaging apps regarding the virus outbreak.
Fake reports of massive looting in Metro manila went viral as the government imposed the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine for a month due to COVID-19.
Before this, some Facebook posts claimed the Office of the Vice President (OVP) was hiring 300 transport vans for its free shuttle service for health workers, which Robredo denied.
Robredo noted the online trolls were at it again, this time, targeting Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto.
The cyber-troll army stepped up attacks on Sotto after he pleaded for the national government to allow tricycles to operate in the city for patients and medical professionals while the quarantine in Luzon is in effect.
“Parang isa sa mga biktima si Vico Sotto ng Pasig. Sabi ko nga welcome to the club (One of the victims now is Vico Sotto of Pasig. I told him welcome to the club,” the vice president said.