By Jeffrey Damicog
The National Prosecution Service (NPS) will continue conducting the preliminary investigation of cases amid the threat of the 2019 novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Department of Justice (DOJ) said on Wednesday.
“So far, no cancellation of preliminary investigations at the NPS,” DOJ Undersecretary Markk Perete said.
“Until such time that further restrictions imposed by health authorities require the cancellation of hearings, preliminary investigation of complaints will continue,” he added.
During preliminary investigation hearings, complainants and respondents, along with the respective witnesses, are required to appear before prosecutors handling the preliminary investigation of cases.
Perete believes the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease (IATF-EID) is currently “drafting further guidelines and protocols on certain activities following the code red level one declaration.”
“We will closely abide by those protocols, and implement the necessary modifications on the way we deliver services to the public,” he said.