People in contact with Taiwanese man with COVID-19 are all asymptomatic–Mayor Binay

Published March 9, 2020, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Jel Santos

Mayor Abigail “Abby” Binay said the people who may have come in contact with the Taiwanese man with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) are all asymptomatic.

Makati Mayor Abby Binay (My Makati / MANILA BULLETIN)
Makati Mayor Abby Binay (My Makati / MANILA BULLETIN)

Over the weekend, Binay ordered city personnel to locate the hotel staff, associates, and all others with whom he may have come in contact with during his stay in Makati City, following the Department of Health announcement on Friday that a Taiwanese man who recently stayed in Makati tested positive for COVID-19.

“Thankfully, with the exception of the Taiwanese national who was confirmed positive with COVID-19, all the rest did not show symptoms,” she said in a statement.

“However, they have been instructed to undergo strict home quarantine. The MHD (Makati Health Department) continues to monitor their conditions.”

Binay said the pro-active measures were taken over the weekend to determine if there was extensive contamination.

According to the local government, the Taiwanese man with COVID-19 was previously confined at a private facility and has since been transferred to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM).

“The management of the private facility has already compiled a list of all personnel who attended to the patient and had already sent this list to the Epidemiological Bureau.”

Binay said she has ordered the city’s COVID-19 Task Force to ensure that all residents, visitors, and establishments in the city follow the preventive measures enumerated by the DOH and the World Health Organization (WHO).

Meantime, the mayor assured the parents of students that the city government has been disinfecting public schools and public areas in Makati since February.

“To further assure the public, I am asking all buildings and facilities, whether public or private,
to disinfect their premises regularly,” she said.

“The city’s COVID-19 protocols are in place. Should the need arise, we have established an isolation area and placed on alert all response teams. All city agencies under the task force are currently promoting awareness on the virus, with emphasis on proper hygiene. Meetings have been held with building administrators and the management of establishments, and our health personnel have undergone training on how to handle COVID-19 cases,” Binay added.

She urged the public to follow all the recommendations of the DOH and WHO to stop the spread of COVID-19

“Let us follow the DOH and WHO. We must cover our mouths if we are going to cough. We should also wear face masks if we have cough and runny nose or if we are nursing a sick patient with a respiratory illness,” the mayor said.

Binay also told the public to stop spreading erroneous information, and to stay calm, saying the local government is geared to fight COVID-19.

“If you know someone with flu, cough, and runny nose and he/she traveled to a country with reported case of COVID-19, please immediately call the Makati Command Center hotline 168 or report it to the Makatizen App,” she said.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2051990,2879916,2879919,2879891,2879886,2879880,2879898]