250 placed under monitoring after attending reunion with COVID-19 positive Fil-Aussie

Published March 9, 2020, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Liezle Basa Inigo

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan – At least 250 persons will be subjected to monitoring after they recently had contact with a “balikbayan” recently who tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) after he returned to Australia.

Gov.  Amado Espino III said, in an ambush interview at the Capitol Resort Hotel, that the province was now facing an emergency situation when reports came out that a Filipino-Australian had tested positive for the coronavirus after attending a high school reunion in Dagupan City.

He also denied that the venue of the reunion was the Sison Auditorium because the provincial government has long disallowed the use of its facilities.

As of Monday, the Department of Health Region 1 (DOH 1) Director Valeriano Jesus Lopez said no one among the 250 persons under monitoring (PUMs) was showing any sign of COVID-19.

On Sunday night,  Mayor Leopoldo Bataoil said proper contact tracing was being established to determine where a Fil-Australian may have contracted the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) who visited the province.

In a statement, Bataoil said “with reference to the recent news of a kababayan from Australia who attended a wedding in Manila, a high school reunion and other activities in Pangasinan in mid-Feb and reported positive of COVID-19 on her return to Australia last March 2, 2020, coordination is being done with appropriate agencies for proper contact tracing. ”

Likewise, Bataoil said the Lingayen local government has been conducting measures since reports of the coronavirus outbreak started late 2019.

Bataoil noted that in the market, and municipal hall, as well as in public gatherings, they have instituted thermal monitoring, and ( cleansing, and encouraged the use of facemasks, among others.

The mayor also urged the public to continue observing all the prescribed measures, and refrain from posting and spreading unverified reports to avoid panic and pray for everyone.

It has been three weeks since the provincial government started to postpone public events and temporarily closed public facilities.