By Calvin Cordova
CEBU CITY – Health authorities here have already traced the whereabouts of the 26 Korean nationals who arrived in Cebu last Tuesday from Daegu City, Gyeongsang Province in South Korea.
The Korean tourists had to be tracked down since they came from Daegu City, which was considered as the epicenter of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in South Korea.
Dr. Jaime Bernadas, regional director of the Department of Health-Central Visayas 9DOH7), said 12 of the Korean tourists were found staying in separate hotels in Lapu-Lapu City while the 14 others were staying in Cebu City.
Although the foreigners showed no signs of COVID-19 so far, they were considered Persons Under Monitoring (PUM) since they came from a place with cases of COVID-19, said Bernadas.
Bernadas said the DOH 7 was still waiting for instructions from its central office on how to deal with the situation.
“They are confined in their hotels while we wait for new guidelines. Practically we treat them as PUM,” said Bernadas.
DOH 7 personnel will be stationed in the hotels to monitor the foreigners.
The monitoring will last for 14 days, and, if the need arises, the foreigners will be transferred to a quarantine facility, said Bernadas.