By Leslie Aquino
With more than 300 Honda Cars Philippines workers in Laguna set to be affected by the company’s unexpected closure, the Partido Manggagawa (PM) has urged the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to also act on other cases of factory closures and forced leave of workers.
“Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III should also look into the thousands of workers who are also victims of forced leaves and factory closures in Cavite and Cebu,” PM National Chair Rene Magtubo said in a statement.
He added that there are more cases of workers losing incomes.
According to PM, a group of companies in the Mactan Economic Zone (MEZ) in Cebu that produce for global garments brands have been putting workers on forced leave due to reduced production.
The group also cited the declaration of electronics locators in MEZ that production is due to be affected by the ban on flights from China where parts and supplies come from.
PM also cited the repeated temporary closure of a garments factory in Cavite which made 348 workers jobless since late last year.
“The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) should prepare relief and assistance to the displaced workers, together with an investigation into the causes of the forced leaves and factory closures, including compliance with labor laws,” Magtubo said.
On Saturday, management announced that the Honda plant manufacturing cars in Sta. Rosa, Laguna was to be shut down.