By Aaron Recuenco
The Philippine National Police (PNP) has extended the deadline for the policemen included in President Duterte’s drug watchlist to avail of optional retirement.
PNP chief Gen. Archie Gamboa said those who want to avail can still do so before the formal start of the adjudication at the regional, national support unit, and directorial levels — the first phase of the adjudication process.
So far, only 15 of the 357 policemen have availed of the optional retirement, according to Gamboa.
“The purpose of this offer is to lessen the number of cases that would be adjudicated so we are still open, but once the process starts, we will no longer accept optional retirement,” Gamboa said.
Aside from the 15 cops, Gamboa said the number of cases was further reduced because 43 cops also on the watchlist had snubbed his summons for a meeting and subsequent drug test.
The adjudication was supposed to start on Monday but it was delayed. Gamboa said it could start on Thursday.
The first phase of the adjudication is expected to last for one week before all the cases are elevated to the national level, to be headed by PNP Deputy Chief for Administration Lt. Gen. Camilo Cascolan.