By Jhon Aldrin Casinas
Classes in all levels, both in public and private schools in Negros Oriental, will resume next week, the provincial public information office announced.
In an advisory Friday, Bimbo Miraflor, provincial capitol spokesperson, said that Negros Oriental Governor Roel Degamo ordered the resumption of classes in the entire province on Monday.
Miraflor said the decision to resume classes was made considering that the two-week incubation period for persons who came in contact with the Chinese couple infected with the novel coronavirus acute respiratory disease (nCoV ARD) will end February 8.
“He sends his appreciation to all private academic institutions for their cooperation during this time,” Miraflor said.
Degamo ordered on Tuesday a three-day suspension of classes in all public schools in the entire province amid the continuing threat of the virus.
In an executive order, Degamo said the suspension “is a precautionary measure to contain and mitigate the spread of the dreaded disease … that has claimed hundreds of lives in China and has created havoc in various parts of our country.”
The Department of Health (DOH) had earlier said the Chinese couple from Wuhan, China, who were the first two confirmed cases of the dreaded virus in the country, have visited the province recently.
One of them, a 44-year-old man, died recently due to severe pneumonia. According to the World Health Organization, he was the first confirmed nCoV ARD-related death outside China.
On Thursday, the provincial government reported that four out of the eight persons under investigation (PUIs) for nCoV ARD in the province have tested negative in the swab test conducted by the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine.