New Clark City on lockdown to accommodate returning OFWs from China

Published February 6, 2020, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Merlina Hernando-Malipot

New Clark City announced on Thursday that it will be on lockdown following an announcement made by the Department of Health (DOH) in a briefing that it will use a location there as a temporary quarantine site.

On its Facebook page, New Clark City said it will “be placed on lockdown starting Thursday, February 6, until further notice.” It also gave the assurance that “all preventive and precautionary measures are being put in place for our repatriated kababayans, as well as the entire area of New Clark City and its adjacent communities.”

In a briefing, DOH said Filipinos returning from Hubei province in China, where the 2019 novel coronavirus originated, will be using the Athletes’ Village in New Clark City as the temporary quarantine site.

In a separate statement, New Clark City authorities expressed their readiness to receive the Filipino repatriates as they undergo the mandatory 14-day quarantine period.

“New Clark City was designed to be a resilient metropolis and is ready for any and all situations, including those that concern public health,” they said.

The facilities in the Athletes’ Village, New Clark City said will “provide the best conditions for our overseas workers returning from China” and “we are happy to host them and contribute to the efforts taken by the government to assist our kababayans.”

Located only 30 minutes away from the Clark International Airport where the repatriated Filipinos from China will land, New Clark City said a polyclinic operated by the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) is also located in the area, two minutes away from the Athlete’s Village.

“It is equipped with 24-hour emergency room facility, primary care and sports medicine, imaging center (x-ray and ultrasound), diagnostic laboratory, and pharmacy,” it added.

Built in 2019, the New Clark City in Tarlac province hosted the 30th Southeast Asian Games from November to December last year. Earlier, the government said that the drug rehabilitation center in Fort Magsaysay in Nueva Ecija will be used as a quarantine facility.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2022628,2729805,2729802,2729780,2729767,2729722,2729718]